She saw Thompson start the fire, but told Sky News she did not think that within minutes she would need to flee for her life.
"I never thought I'd need to jump from the window because the fire was coming, never," she said.
But with a policeman inside her flat and others on the ground waiting to catch her, she was eventually persuaded to jump.
The moment was captured by a photographer and it became one of the iconic pictures of the summer riots.
The image led to the shy supermarket worker became famous for a few days; friends and family in Poland contacting her to make sure was safe.
Now she just hopes that the jailing of Thompson will be the end of the story.
"I'm very scared, I'm very nervous. Sometimes I'm upset and I'm thinking I only want to forget everything that's happened to me," she said.
She refused to carry on living in the flat because of the memories, but it did not make her leave England.
She said such incidents could happen all over the world.
What remained of the Reeves building was demolished within a few weeks of the inferno, and the site remains empty.
There were no plans to rebuild it until the economy improves. Instead the Reeves business continues in a smaller building across the road.
And the history lives on in photographs on the fencing which surrounds the vacant site.
There are pictures showing the Reeves store at the start of the 20th century as well as pictures of it ablaze on August 8, 2011.